Thursday, May 13, 2010

Ballot Initiative to Ban Red-Light Cameras in Colorado

Few things in my daily life aggravate me as much as red-light cameras (another one being cops sitting mid-downhill with their radar guns). In fact, red-light cameras aggravate me so much that I am thinking of starting a drive to change Colorado law. No, I have not been a victim of one of these safety-killing, revenue-generating traps (yet), but the way they are set up it's just a matter of time.

If you have any experience in driving ballot initiatives and would be interested in starting the process to run a referendum banning the use of red-light cameras in Colorado, please post a comment in reply to this post. Fifteen states have already banned the use of red-light cameras.

In the meantime, for the next few weekends, I plan to go out with a stopwatch to measure the yellow-light interval of various traffic lights, some equipped with red-light cameras, some without. I think I have already detected a difference of about one second between the two types (with the red-light camera equipped traffic signals being shorter.) If your idea of a fun weekend can withstand lowered expectations and you would like to help out, drop me a line using the comment feature.

No comments:

Copyright 2004-2012 TheDailyFuel.com