Wednesday, September 16, 2009

An Open Letter To Sen. Baucus

Dear Senator:

This is the first time I have ever written to you. I have written emails to you before, but I have never "pulled the trigger". Why? Because I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt. I wanted to wait until your plan was out, so it could be analyzed by people who know better than I do. Well, now the plan is out, and you are proud of it. Congratulations! You have written a bill "that can pass the Senate." Hooray. Except, that should not have been the goal. The goal should have been to pass a bill that would improve the life of the American people, not one that would line the coffers of the insurance industry.

Wendell Potter, a former VP at Cigna, said in yesterday's testimony to a congressional committee that your plan might as well be called "the Insurance Industry Profit Protection and Enhancement bill", because that's what it actually is.

Sen. Baucus: you and you colleagues have shamed the people of Montana by putting your insurance industry contributors ahead of the welfare of your constituents and of the rest of the American people. Well done!

Unfortunately it will be a few years before I can donate to your opponent when/if you have the gall to run for re-election, but rest assured that I will, and I will participate in any campaign against your re-election.

Sincerely,

Fabrizio Siracusa,
Denver, CO



UPDATE

I also wrote the White House and asked them to pay attention to the fact that, in the Senate Finance Committee bill presented by Sen. Baucus, the cap for Flex Spending Account (which is a pre-tax benefit) drops from $3,000 to $2,000. Where I come from, that translates into higher taxes, which goes against President Obama's campaign pledge not to raise taxes on 95% of Americans. It is only one of the many ways in which the "Max Tax" sticks it to the middle class.

More on this as facts develop.

No comments:

Copyright 2004-2012 TheDailyFuel.com