Friday, October 03, 2008

McCain's Commitment To Veterans No Match For His Rhetoric

When Senators McCain and Obama met in Mississippi for the first of the 2008 Presidential Debates there were many moments when the Arizona senator plainly lied about his opponent's proposals and record, and many more in which he lied about his own record. But none of his mischaracterizations was as difficult to stomach as his position on veteran benefits.
I know the veterans. I know them well. And I know that they know that I'll take care of them. And I've been proud of their support and their recognition of my service to the veterans.

And I love them. And I'll take care of them. And they know that I'll take care of them. And that's going to be my job.

Now, I am no veteran, and I don't suppose many veterans read my blog. In fact, I have no friends who have served in Iraq or Afghanistan, so I do not have a personal stake in the treatment of veterans. However, I have read enough, and listened to enough discussions on the subject, to know that Sen. McCain is not exactly a favorite of many veterans.

So I did a little research, and I found an opinion piece published by the LA Times, and a post on Think Progress. Read them, then judge for yourself.

These two examples are a good starting point, and there are many more articles and posts like them, if you care to look for them.

Again, it seems that Sen. McCain's commitment to veterans is grounded, as so many of his positions, in lofty but empty rhetoric. Facts, those stubborn little things, tell a very different story.

In other words, more of the same.

No comments:

Copyright 2004-2012 TheDailyFuel.com